According to Dictionary.com (2013), wellbeing is defined as a state-of-being that is pleasing or satisfactory in the areas of health, strength, fitness, happiness and success.
Wellbeing is also characterized as vigor, energy, the ability to participate in activities that are both influential and engaging. It transcends the actual act of the activities, to include a sense of autonomy and competency.
?Wellness? helps you overcome adversity and cope with stressful and challenging situations.
Moreover, the term ?wellbeing? consists of the need to feel related to other people. In order to be truly ?well? you must have a good understanding of yourself, be as healthy (mentally, emotionally and physically) as you can be and surround yourself with a strong support system.
The exact definition of the term ?wellbeing? is often debated, but for all intents and purposes, ?wellbeing? describes how well you are doing.
In other words, well-being gives you a sense of how your life is going. It is often measured by how well you interact with others, how you see yourself, others and the world around you and how you perceive happiness and success.
When you have a high level of well-being, you are able to better respond to challenging circumstances. You are also able to successfully interact with others and add value to the world around you.
The Five Elements of WellBeing
- Positive Emotions: Positive emotions significantly affect your level of wellbeing. They are defined as optimistic, encouraging and confident feelings (joy, happiness and satisfaction). When you are happy and fulfilled, you are experiencing positive emotions.
- Engagement: Engagement plays a significant role in your wellbeing. It is defined as the ?give-and-take? that occurs during an interaction. In other words, it is the flow that occurs between two or more people. It includes both verbal and non-verbal communication. When you are in an active conversation with someone, you are engaging the other person.
- Purpose: Recognizing your purpose in life plays an important role in your wellbeing. Purpose may be defined as your spiritual connection or it may be your ability to feel connected to something or someone greater than yourself. Feeling like you have a purpose in life can increase your level of wellbeing.
- Relationships: Your romantic, personal and work relationships can heavily influence your state of being. Surrounding yourself with positive and loving people can boost your happiness and wellbeing. When you feel loved, respected, valued and appreciated by others your level of well-being increases.
- Achievements: One of the most critical elements associated with wellbeing is your ability to achieve your goals and accomplish your dreams. You may achieve your goals because it makes you feel ?good? or you may do it because it gives your life meaning, either way it directly affects your quality of life and well-being.
Factors That Can Improve Your WellBeing
- A Happy Marriage
- Supportive Friends
- A Rewarding Career
- Enough Money to Live Comfortably
- A Healthy Diet and Regular Exercise
- Adequate Sleep
- Social Interactions
- Spiritual Awareness and/or Participation